Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Cheap rent among other things...

Yes, finally I post something new! I'm sure almost nobody was waiting with baited breath, but here it is.

On my way to work every morning I pass by a maroon Cutlass sedan, which seems uninteresting in itself except that this car is completely packed with stuff. Clothes are stacked neatly in the back window, and every possible surface is covered with trash or cloth. Most mornings there are towels rolled up in the windows so you can't see into the back seat. After a couple of days in which the car never moved, I realized that someone actually lives in their car. Shock was my first response, but then I realized it's a great idea! Rent in Boston is so exhorbitant I'm sure I am paying the gross national product of some small third world country, or at the very least enough to feed several villages. If I lived out of a car, I would only have to pay $100/month for a residential parking permit, and I could park near my work, turning my hour commute every morning into a mere minute and a half. Fabulous! Since my husband and I have a four door pickup, we could hold dinner parties in the truck bed, and somebody must make a hot plate that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter. Even better, we can grill outside all the time. Now where would I keep all of my shoes...

I am bookless. I have no books to read right now, and I keep rereading books I all ready own. I've been so incredibly busy lately, I have not had time to go to the library. In lieu of a new book, I have been doing crossword puzzles on my way to work in order to keep my mind occupied (my mind would go crazy if I had nothing to do during my hour commute). Crossword puzzles are starting to really get on my nerves. There are somethings I am just never going to know, but how can I finish a crossword puzzle that has obscure hints like 'limerick writer - Nash' or 'Hell -'? Some days I do really great, and I almost finish a puzzle and revel in my vast knowledge. Some days I do really bad, and I barely get one out of every ten hints and curse my stupidity. Emotionally, I think books are just better for me, so if you have any suggestions let me know.

My husband and I are now the proud owners of a Toyota Tacoma. Driving a pickup in Boston is something I never thought I would have to do, but driving a pickup with a manual transmission seemed even less likely. Here I am, though, not only driving a pickup but trying to cope with a stick-shift as well. So far I have not killed it at any crucial moments such as in the middle of an intersection or in rush hour traffic. I like to think that my dad taught me how to be a pretty smooth manual-transmission operator, but I'm still a little rusty. Cross your fingers for me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are there no pictures of you?

Mandy said...

Are you at all creeped out by the anonymous posting asking for pictures of you? ;)

And oh...I was definitely waiting with baited breath!

On another note, what if we - in the hopes that we can increase the frequency of our postings - start posting our favorite recipes of the week or just new recipes that we plan on trying out and then what we think of them? That way we can do a continual recipe swap (and I think you should convince your sisters to each create their own blog to contribute to this plan!) I may just go ahead and post a few that I've made lately and see whether or not you catch on! :)

Fixen Vixen said...

Okay, totally creeped out by that posting.

As for the recipe idea, Yeah! I love it. I am always looking for good recipes. Plus, if there is a recipe I can do, everyone can do it! I have a request for you, though. Can you post your recipe for five grain pancakes? The husband and I just loved them!

Mandy said...

Hey - you may have to remind me, but I'll try to get it up on my blog this weekend!