Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Big Bangs


My hair was getting dangerously close to my shoulders, and as I usually do, I decided to hack it all off. I usually get a concave cut that is about chin-length, but this time I went a little crazy and decided to get bangs. (The picture is pretty close to what it looks like, and no, that is not me. I'm pale but not that pale!) Not a good idea. I look like a teenager. As a co-worker of mine said, " It makes you look sweet and innocent." I said, " It makes me look like I am fourteen." To which my co-worker replied, "Yeah, it kind of does." Oh well, until they grow out, I guess I will just have to live with them. Please, please, please remind me in the future not to get bangs. I'm sure someday I will think it is a good idea once again.

The funny thing is, my bangs have a side effect. I get stopped quite a bit by people who are lost and need directions. Even when I first moved to Boston and was lost myself 99% of the time, I would get asked for directions. For the first couple of months in Boston, I worried I would get asked where such-and-such was or how to get to X street. I'm pretty sure a number of people got sent on a wild goose chase because of me and now curse my name. My theory as to why I was always getting stopped is because I am totally not intimidating and pretty approachable. At least, that was until I learned how to give off those stay-out-of-my-face vibes most Bostonians develop. I got approach much less as time went on, or at least that was the case until I got bangs. Since then, I have gotten stopped almost every day. I actually had a woman chase after me to ask for directions even though I had my ipod on and there were other people walking by. Why is this happening? I think it has to be that I look sweet, innocent, and less intimidating with bangs. Fortunately, I know Boston much better, and I am hopefully not sending them on a wild goose chase.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Maybe you can train the bangs to go to one side or another? That way they're not so young-looking.

Fixen Vixen said...

I tried that, but they are just too short. A strong breeze messes them all up again! Gah!

Mandy said...

You'll just have to be patient then! Or you could try bobby-pinning them back...

Mandy said...

Although that could also make you look like a small child...

J-Funk said...

Hahaha that's funny that you get stopped and asked for directions. You must look like you know where you're going.

If I'm not in a hurry, I prefer to actually walk people part of the way to where they're going (especially if they're old or sick looking and/or asking directions to the ER - this actually happened to me a few times back in MN). That way, I don't feel guilty when I realize five minutes after they've left that I told them completely the wrong thing.

Unknown said...

Hey, who told you not to cut your bangs?????