Monday, September 04, 2006

Bachelor Pad

Recently, my darling husband informed me that some of his friends think our apartment looks like a "bachelor pad". I was completely mortified! I live in a bachelor pad, moi? Then I started to look around our place. Yes, there is an ugly green futon covered with golfers in our living room. Yes, fishing, camping, biking, and various other manly equipment are strewn everywhere. Yes, my husband has pictures of himself with his friends who are girls around the apartment. Yes, there is a coat hanger shaped like a paddle and a stolen park sign still attached to its metal pole in our front entry way. Okay, apparently I live in a bachelor pad, which is perhaps not much of a surprise since I have never been much of a decorator. If any specific style would accurately represent my decorating skills it would probably be minimalist. So what can I do to improve this situation? Here is what I came up with.

1. Get new living room furniture. Goodbye golfers!

2. Organize and store various outdoor equipment, preferably in a place where they won't be seen.

3. Get more knick knacks. I've never really had knick knacks, but a bachelor probably doesn't have knick knacks.

4. Paint the walls various shades of purple, yellow, and/or pink.

5. Get flower-covered curtains. I have these wonderful blue striped curtains in our bedroom, but again, they look kind of male.

6. Lower testosterone level in apartment while viewing (basically, kick Leif out until people have seen the place; sorry honey).

7. Get milk. Okay, not going to get rid of my bachelor pad problem, but I definitely need to get some.

If you have any other ideas, let me know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come up with a husband-friendly theme for your apartment, or a single room within the apartment (one that does NOT include miscellaneous sporting goods!). Try to stick to a unifying look - in colors, wall decor, furniture, etc. Most men can't figure this out, so you're destined to fix your 'bachelor pad' problem! ;)

J-Funk said...

The knick knack idea is sure to work. Also, I think having all the stuff in your bathroom match has a profound effect as well. Good luck, I know it can be a tough thing to do. It is amazing what boys are willing to live in.

Allen said...

Another great place to find room and wall decor furniture as well as a large variety of home decor and entertainment items are here - http://www.unlimitedhomedecor.com